Muhammad(s) His Life Based on the Earliest Sources
About the Author(s) of Muhammad
Martin Lings holds degrees from both Oxford and London University. He lectured for twelve years at Cairo University, and has served as Keeper of Oriental Manuscripts at the British Museum. He has participated in several international Islamic councils and conferences.
His other works include three books on Islamic mysticism, The Secret of Shakespeare, Ancient Beliefs and Modern Superstition, and The Koranic Arts of Calligraphy and Illumination.
Praise for Muhammad: "Lings provides a wealth of detail on the life of Muhammad, the time and place of many Koranic revelations, and the foundation of Islam, all based exclusively on 8th- and 9th-century Arabic biographical sources and collections of the sayings attributed to Muhammad. General readers will find a well-written, straightforward chronological narrative; Muslim readers will appreciate the favorable treatment of Muhammad; while specialists will find a faithful and convenient rendering of source material."
Joseph Gardner, California State Univ. Lib., Northridge Library Journal
Table of Contents Muhammad: His Life Based on the Earliest Sources
1 The House of God
2 A Great Loss
3 Quraysh of the Hollow
4 The Recovery of Loss
5 The Vow to Sacrifice a Son
6 The Need for a Prophet
7 The Year of The Elephant
8 The Desert
9 Two Bereavements
10 Bahira the Monk
11 A Pact of Chivalry
12 Questions of Marriage
13 The Household
14 The Rebuilding of the Ka'bah
15 The First Revelations
17 "Warn Thy Family"
18 Quraysh Take Action
19 Aws and Khazraj
20 Abu Jahl and Hamzah
21 Quraysh Make Offers and Demands
22 Leaders of Quraysh
23 Wonderment and Hope
24 Family Divisions
25 The Hour
26 Three Questions
29 The Ban and its Annulment
30 Paradise and Eternity
31 The Year of Sadness
32 "The Light of Thy Countenance"
33 After Years of Sadness
34 Yathrib Responsive
35 Many Emigrations
36 A Conspiracy
37 The Hijrah
38 The Entry into Medina
39 Harmony and Discord
40 The New Household
41 The Threshold of War
42 The March of Badr
43 The Battle of Badr
44 The Return of the Vanquished
45 The Captives
46 Bani Qaynuqa'
47 Deaths and Marriages
48 The People of the Bench
49 Desultory Warfare
50 Preparations for Battle
51 The March to Uhud
52 The Battle of Uhud
54 The Burial of the Martyrs
55 After Uhud
56 Victims of Revenge
57 Bani Nadir
58 Peace and War
59 The Trench
60 The Siege
61 Bani Qurayzah
62 After the Siege
63 The Hypocrites
64 The Necklace
65 The Lie
66 The Dilemma of Quraysh
67 "A Clear Victory"
68 After Hudaybiyah
70 "Whom Lovest Thou Most?"
71 After Khaybar
72 The Lesser Pilgrimage and its Aftermath
73 Deaths and the Promise of Birth
74 A Breach of the Armistice
75 The Conquest of Mecca
76 The Battle of Hunayn and the Siege of Ta'if
78 After the Victory
80 After Tabuk
81 The Degrees
82 The Future
83 The Farewell Pilgrimage
84 The Choice
85 The Succession and the Burial
Map of Arabia (by Steven w. Johnson)
Quraysh of the Hollow (genealogical tree)
Note on Pronunciation of Arabic Names
Key to References
The newest solution in online retail services, East West Souk! Our mission is to provide quality products, at affordable prices, and offer quality customer service to each one of our customers. At East West Souk, you can rest assured that our team members provide around the clock customer service and support. We treat each order with the utmost care and attention to ensure a prompt delivery. It is our goal to bring the beauty of the east to our customers in the west to enrich their lives and make decorating your space easier.
We are offering a series of special promotions for a limited time, including:
- FREE shipping on orders over $70.00 within the USA.
- All orders over $99 will receive a surprise free gift with their order.
- Join our rewards program to earn points with each purchase. For more details please visit our rewards section.
- Visit us on Facebook and Twitter for updates on new products and special offers.
- Let us bring our home into yours with quality products that will enhance any space!
- Each order is entitled to only one discount; multiple discounts may not be applied to a single order.
- Website specials are valid for orders placed via our website only and are not applicable to orders placed via mail, unless specifically mentioned.
- We only offer guarantees on products from our website. Items purchased as special orders or custom orders do not hold the same guarantees and policies.
- All prices subject to change without notice.
- We reserve the right to revise prices, limit quantities and allow for flyer printing errors and/or website typos.
- The Free Shipping promotion is for returning customers only with a required minimum purchase, as described in the email offer. The Free Shipping promotion is valid with USPS media services only. We reserve the right to change the shipping method at our discretion. This promotion can only be used once per customer, is non-transferable, and cannot be combined with other shipping offers or promotions.
East West Souk’s Guarantee
We guarantee your satisfaction with any goods that you purchase from us. If you receive your goods in such a state that they did not meet your satisfaction for any reason, please keep the item(s) in the original package and contact us at email@example.com within 10 days of receiving your goods to arrange for an exchange or refund.
- In any case that you may require an exchange or refund please take note of the following:
- In the case of damaged, defective or wrong item(s) shipped due to our fault we will replace your product without any extra fees for shipping and handling, East West Souk will send you a return shipping label to ship your product back to us.
- In the case that you were not satisfied with the product for any reason other than the above reasons we will issue a full refund for the cost of the item only (shipping and handling fees will not get refunded).
- In the case of exchange an item(s) with another item(s) of your choice. The customer agrees to pay any price difference if the new merchandise has higher price than the item(s) exchanged plus the shipping and handling of the exchanged item(s).
- Alternatively, we can also issue a store credit for the refunded item(s) that the customer can use for future purchases at East West Souk.
- Food products, health & personal care products, DVDs, CDs, electronics, VHS tapes, audiotapes, or games and puzzles must be unopened and in their original sealable plastic wrapped boxes.
- Clothes must be unworn, unwashed, and in their original state (all original tags attached).
- Books, flash cards, posters and other products must be unmarked, unwritten on, unbent, and in new condition.
- Damaged products (not due to our fault) may receive partial or no credit.
- As long as the product was not damaged or defective, the following items will not be accepted for returns once the original packaging is opened: Food products, health & personal care products, software, electronics, CDs, DVDs, audiotapes, VHS tapes, and bundles with books and CDs or books and DVDs.
- Any returned item needs new packaging or missing parts will be subject to restocking fees that may reach 50% of its original value.
- Any item(s) that do not satisfy the conditions above will not be accepted for refund or exchange.
- Any request for refund or exchange received after 30 days from the customer’s receipt of the merchandise will not be accepted.
- Any item(s) that was not directly purchased from East West Souk will not be accepted for refund or exchange and will be discarded.
- Exchanged item(s) will only get shipped after we receive the returned one(s) and found acceptable according to the above conditions.
- Packages marked a return to sender will not be considered or accepted for exchange or refund.
- Returns from Canada or overseas: Please contact East West Souk at firstname.lastname@example.org for full instructions; before taking any action or shipping the item(s) back to us.
- East West Souk will not be liable for refund of missing parcels from the USA if we are not informed of them within 10 days of delivery. Different terms apply to the rest of the world.
- Refunds will be made within 30 days of receiving the returned goods and will be made by the same method used in the original purchase.
- We strongly recommend that returned goods are sent by special delivery with the appropriate insurance cover as they will only be deemed returned when signed for by us.