The Meaning of the Holy Qur'an (Paperback)
In separate introductory Notes I have mentioned the useful books to which I have referred, under the headings: Commentaries on the Qur'an; Translations of the Qur'an; and Useful Works of Reference. I have similarly explained the system, which I have followed in the Transliteration of Arabic Words and Names; the Abbreviations I have used; and the Principal Divisions of the Qur'an.
It may be asked: Is there any need for a fresh English Translation? To those who ask this question I commend a careful consideration of the facts, which I have set out in my note on Translations of the Qur'an. After they have read it, I would invite them to take any particular passage say 2:74, or 2:102, or 2:164 and compare it with any previous version they choose.
If they find that I have helped them even the least bit further in understanding its meaning, or appreciating its beauty, or catching something of the grandeur of the original, I would claim that my humble attempt is justified. It is the duty of every Muslim-man, woman, or child-to read the Qur'an and understand it according to his own capacity.
If anyone of us attains to some knowledge or understanding of it by study, contemplation, and the test of life, both outward and inward, it is his duty, according to his capacity, to instruct others, and share with them the joy and peace which result from contact with the spiritual world. The Qur'an-indeed every religious book-has to be read, not only with the tongue and voice and eyes, but with the best light that our intellect can supply, and even more, with the truest and purest light which our heart and conscience can give us.
It is in this spirit that I would have my readers approach the Qur'an. It was between the ages of four and five that I first learned to read its Arabic words, to revel in its rhythm and music, and wonder at its meaning. I have a dim recollection of the khatm ceremony which closed that stage. It was called "completion": it really just began a spiritual awakening that has gone on ever since.
My revered father taught me Arabic, but I must have imbibed from him into my innermost being something more, something which told me that the entire world's thoughts, all the world's most beautiful languages and literatures, are but vehicles for that ineffable message which comes to the heart in rare moments of ecstasy. The soul of mysticism and ecstasy is in the Qur'an, as well as the plain guidance for the plain man, which a world in a hurry affects to consider as sufficient.
It is good to make this personal confession, to an age in which it is in the highest degree unfashionable to speak of religion or spiritual peace or consolation, an age in which words like these draw forth only derision, pity, or contempt. I have explored Western lands, Western manners, and the depths of Western thought and Western learning, to an extent, which has rarely fallen to the lot of an Eastern mortal.
But I have never lost touch with my Eastern heritage. Through all my successes and failures, I have learned to rely more and more upon the one true thing in all life-the voice that speaks in a tongue above that of mortal man. For me the embodiment of that voice has been in the noble words of the Arabic Qur'an, which I have tried to translate for myself and apply to my experience repeatedly. The service of the Qur'an has been the pride and the privilege of many Muslims.
I felt that with such life-experience as has fallen to my lot, my service to the Qur'an should be to present it in a fitting garb in English. That ambition I have cherished in my mind for more than forty years. I have collected books and materials for it. I have visited places, undertaken journeys, taken notes, sought the society of men, and tried to explore their thoughts and hearts, in order to equip myself for the task.
Sometimes I have considered it too stupendous for me-the double task of understanding the original, and reproducing its nobility, its beauty, its poetry, its grandeur, and its sweet practical reasonable application to everyday experience. Then I have blamed myself for lack of courage-the spiritual courage of men who dared all in the Cause, which was so dear to them. Two sets of apparently accidental circumstances at last decided me. A man's life is subject to inner storms far more devastating than those in the physical world around him.vv In such a storm, in the bitter anguish of a personal sorrow which nearly unseated my reason and made life seem meaningless, a new hope was born out of a systematic pursuit of my long-cherished project. Watered by tears, my manuscript began to grow in depth and earnestness if not in bulk.
I guarded it like a secret treasure. Wanderer that l am, I carried it about, thousands of miles, to all sorts of countries and among all sorts of people. At length, in the city of Lahore, I happened to mention the matter to some young people who held me in respect and affection. They showed an enthusiasm and an eagerness which surprised me.
They almost took the matter out of my hands. They asked for immediate publication.
HIGHLIGHTS: Arabic numerals replace Roman numerals Surah names transliterated Juz’ division markers included Arabic text in Madinah script, newly reset and improved More appropriate Islamic terminology used throughout, e.g., “Allah” instead of “God” and “Messenger” replaces “Apostle” New reset type with updated spelling and transliteration Extensive running commentary revised and clarified to avoid misinterpretation
The newest solution in online retail services, East West Souk! Our mission is to provide quality products, at affordable prices, and offer quality customer service to each one of our customers. At East West Souk, you can rest assured that our team members provide around the clock customer service and support. We treat each order with the utmost care and attention to ensure a prompt delivery. It is our goal to bring the beauty of the east to our customers in the west to enrich their lives and make decorating your space easier.
We are offering a series of special promotions for a limited time, including:
- FREE shipping on orders over $70.00 within the USA.
- All orders over $99 will receive a surprise free gift with their order.
- Join our rewards program to earn points with each purchase. For more details please visit our rewards section.
- Visit us on Facebook and Twitter for updates on new products and special offers.
- Let us bring our home into yours with quality products that will enhance any space!
- Each order is entitled to only one discount; multiple discounts may not be applied to a single order.
- Website specials are valid for orders placed via our website only and are not applicable to orders placed via mail, unless specifically mentioned.
- We only offer guarantees on products from our website. Items purchased as special orders or custom orders do not hold the same guarantees and policies.
- All prices subject to change without notice.
- We reserve the right to revise prices, limit quantities and allow for flyer printing errors and/or website typos.
- The Free Shipping promotion is for returning customers only with a required minimum purchase, as described in the email offer. The Free Shipping promotion is valid with USPS media services only. We reserve the right to change the shipping method at our discretion. This promotion can only be used once per customer, is non-transferable, and cannot be combined with other shipping offers or promotions.
East West Souk’s Guarantee
We guarantee your satisfaction with any goods that you purchase from us. If you receive your goods in such a state that they did not meet your satisfaction for any reason, please keep the item(s) in the original package and contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org within 10 days of receiving your goods to arrange for an exchange or refund.
- In any case that you may require an exchange or refund please take note of the following:
- In the case of damaged, defective or wrong item(s) shipped due to our fault we will replace your product without any extra fees for shipping and handling, East West Souk will send you a return shipping label to ship your product back to us.
- In the case that you were not satisfied with the product for any reason other than the above reasons we will issue a full refund for the cost of the item only (shipping and handling fees will not get refunded).
- In the case of exchange an item(s) with another item(s) of your choice. The customer agrees to pay any price difference if the new merchandise has higher price than the item(s) exchanged plus the shipping and handling of the exchanged item(s).
- Alternatively, we can also issue a store credit for the refunded item(s) that the customer can use for future purchases at East West Souk.
- Food products, health & personal care products, DVDs, CDs, electronics, VHS tapes, audiotapes, or games and puzzles must be unopened and in their original sealable plastic wrapped boxes.
- Clothes must be unworn, unwashed, and in their original state (all original tags attached).
- Books, flash cards, posters and other products must be unmarked, unwritten on, unbent, and in new condition.
- Damaged products (not due to our fault) may receive partial or no credit.
- As long as the product was not damaged or defective, the following items will not be accepted for returns once the original packaging is opened: Food products, health & personal care products, software, electronics, CDs, DVDs, audiotapes, VHS tapes, and bundles with books and CDs or books and DVDs.
- Any returned item needs new packaging or missing parts will be subject to restocking fees that may reach 50% of its original value.
- Any item(s) that do not satisfy the conditions above will not be accepted for refund or exchange.
- Any request for refund or exchange received after 30 days from the customer’s receipt of the merchandise will not be accepted.
- Any item(s) that was not directly purchased from East West Souk will not be accepted for refund or exchange and will be discarded.
- Exchanged item(s) will only get shipped after we receive the returned one(s) and found acceptable according to the above conditions.
- Packages marked a return to sender will not be considered or accepted for exchange or refund.
- Returns from Canada or overseas: Please contact East West Souk at email@example.com for full instructions; before taking any action or shipping the item(s) back to us.
- East West Souk will not be liable for refund of missing parcels from the USA if we are not informed of them within 10 days of delivery. Different terms apply to the rest of the world.
- Refunds will be made within 30 days of receiving the returned goods and will be made by the same method used in the original purchase.
- We strongly recommend that returned goods are sent by special delivery with the appropriate insurance cover as they will only be deemed returned when signed for by us.